Monday 15 March 2010

Stevenage Football Match in support of the LA

On 6th March '10 we organised that the Stevenage vs. Crawley Town game would be held in support of the Lymphoma Association. To raise awareness a little piece was put in the programme...

'Today’s match is in support of the Lymphoma Association, Registered Charity No. 1068395, which provides information and support to anyone affected by lymphatic cancer (most common cancer in the under 30s).
HAYLEY BENHAM DIAGNOSED IN 2009


After a year of travelling, life couldn’t be better but I started to suffer with back pain which I just dismissed as getting back into the daily routine. I then developed flu-like symptoms accompanied by itchy skin and a persistent lump.
After various tests, and a lot of visits to my GP, I was told that I had lymphoma. I had never heard of it before, didn’t even know it was cancer and when you're only 23, that comes as a real shock! I found the Lymphoma Association a wealth of information and support.
My chemotherapy treatment lasted for eight months. Now just over a year since diagnosis I am enjoying getting my life back on track.
Please give generously to the charity volunteers in the stadium as every penny will be put to vital use. Thank you.
http://www.lymphomas.org.uk'


It was a great day, friends, family and even the Mayor of Stevenage came down to support. We also did a bucket collection on the day and raised nearly £400 for the LA, a great amount and way above our expectations. A big thanks to everyone involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment